Dodge Street Subway Restoration Pro-bono Design
October 29, 2015
Media, local government reps, and community members were on hand today for the rededication of the Dodge Street Subway, the only remaining pedestrian tunnel of its kind in Omaha. The subway, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010, was restored with pro-bono design help from LEO A DALY.
The Dodge Street Subway was constructed in 1934 as part of the New Deal era project to widen Dodge Street from Turner Blvd to the western edge of Omaha at Happy Hollow Blvd. The project was funded through the National Industrial Recovery Act (NIRA) using the Public Works Administration (PWA) and the Civil Works Administration (CWA).
The subway is important to the Dundee neighborhood of Omaha, providing a critical link for pedestrians on the north and south sides of busy Dodge Street, which sees auto traffic of 77,000 cars every day.
This restoration, which brings the subway from a graffiti-covered, dim state to a clean, LED-lit one, will soon feature murals designed by Dundee School students, to whom the subway is especially important. A quarter of Dundee School's students walk from the south side of Dodge to attend school on the north side every day.
The list of donors who made this project possible is long, and appears in bronze on a plaque adorning the side of the tunnel, along with a plaque noting the tunnel's history. The Dundee Memorial Park Association raised $40 thousand to pay for the restorations. Donations ranged from $5 to thousands of dollars from neighbors and local foundations.
Many hours of labor were donated to make this project a success, and LEO A DALY Omaha is proud to have been involved.